John ThomasFounder & Chief Legal Counsel
- (971) 556916239
- (91) 8971479747
Through our Indian entity, John has handled the contractual/commercial closure of the following major projects:
- Setting up of a $ 100 million industrial unit in South India.
- Reviewing of the RFP, identifying the unacceptable risks and liabilities, raising appropriate deviations and negotiating a suite of IT contracts for the supply and implementation of software licenses and maintenance services of IT hardware systems for a manufacturing facility.
- Setting up of a partnership firm in Bangalore and negotiating all associated legal documents that helped the client expanding their existing cloth manufacturing and export facility.
Prior to the formation of the Indian entity in 2014, John held various in-house legal positions at Kuwait National Petroleum Company (KNPC), Kuwait, for 20 years and was in charge of:
- Handling the negotiation and drafting of multi-disciplinary contracts, agreements and other documents typical to the projects in the refining industry. Numerous such projects (PMC, EPC, EPCM, Consultancy, Licensing and Maintenance) were in the range of 250 million to 1 billion US dollars. Of the many high value projects, two projects, namely, Al-Zour Refinery Project and Clean Fuel Project, handled were in excess of 15 billion US dollars.
- Handling or otherwise managing the international tenders and RFPs (or RFQs) of all relevant KNPC projects.
- Leading the special assignment of negotiating a US $ 250 Million EPC project for a sister oil company in Kuwait (at the request of KNPC’s top management).
- Negotiating a suite of technology licensing agreements with several major international process licensors on behalf of another sister oil company in Kuwait (at the request of KNPC’s top management); and.
- Analyzing, negotiating and resolving high value claims and disputes, often running into hundreds of millions of dollars.
Prior to joining KNPC, John Thomas’ experience as a legal consultant in Kuwait included the following:
- Providing drafting and contractual support services for a 2-billion USD joint venture project between Petrochemical Industries Company, Kuwait and Union Carbide Corporation, U.S.A. for establishing and constructing a petrochemical plant for the JV-company, Equate, in Kuwait.
- Providing drafting and contractual support and advice for a joint-venture project between Gulf Investment Corporation, Kuwait (a company owned by GCC countries) and Ottokompu, Finland for establishing and constructing a 10,000-ton per annum copper plant in Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for contractors and consultants in identifying the risks and liabilities contained in project-sponsors’/owners’ tenders/RFPs (RFQs) and negotiating and finalizing the contracts with project-sponsors/owners.
- Advising on alternative dispute resolution (ADR) procedures and practices, including drafting the required contractual provisions or agreements.
John Thomas also practiced as an advocate, specializing in civil and constitutional matters, in the High Court of Kerala between 1990 and 1993.